Dealing with depression during the Fall and Winter season can be a challenge. The weather is colder, it's darker earlier and there are fewer people out and about.
It's also common to feel down during this time of year, so it's important
to know how to deal with depression during this time of year.
Here are five ways to deal with depression during fall and winter:
1. Connect with friends and family.
2. Stay active in mind and body.
3. Take care of yourself physically by getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods and exercising regularly (for example, 30 minutes of exercise at least three times per week).
4. Practice mindfulness breathing exercises such as sitting quietly for five minutes with your eyes closed, focusing on your breath going in and out of your nose or mouth (you can do this anywhere). You may want to try listening to calming music or soft spoken guided meditations as well if they help you relax more easily than sitting quietly alone with your eyes closed does.
5. Be prepared for long periods of dreary weather by making plans ahead of time so you're not stuck inside all day every day (for example, go shopping together as a family or invite friends over for dinner).
BONUS: Practicing self-care during the Fall and Winter Season is always of caring for yourself during this season as well. Below are some suggestions to add to your self-care rituals.